Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I just love summer foods!

I have made it my goal to freeze and can this year a lot of foods to make it through the winter and "off" season without spending tons of money on the foods we love and because it is just plain healthier!  So far, I made strawberry freezer jam and froze whole (with stems removed) strawberries.  Today, I purchased 20 pounds of peaches for eating, freezing and making some "baby" friendly treats (we'll see how this goes). These will also be good for adding to plain yogurt for flavor. And, I purchased 6 more pounds of strawberries.  Also, last night I got a great deal on onions, $1.40 a bag.  I plan to prep these tonight, lay on a pan to flash freeze and divide them into 1 cup baggies for quick cooking later.  Today, I also got some sweet corn from a local farm stand that we will use for meals tonight, and I am hoping to do some corn freezing later on this summer.  I dropped by the local berry patch and red raspberries are ready and black ones will be ready by this weekend.  I hope to get out there Saturday morning to pick some!

Here is my to-do list for the summer:  (most of these items will come from our own garden)

Freeze: 
Fruits (strawberries, peaches, black and red raspberries, blueberries)
Apple Sauce (I could probably can this, but freezing is just as easy)
Pear Sauce
Spaghetti Sauce (made from garden tomatoes)
Savory Pastry Crust
Corn
Onions
Green peppers (I dice some and cut others length wise for fajitas--just makes for less prep later)

Canning:
Tomato Juice
Diced tomatoes in juice
Tomato Sauce (seasoned and plain)
Zucchini Relish
Chicken and Beef Stock
Blueberry Syrup
Salsa (a request from my husband)
Roasted Romas
Green Beans

I use the Ball Canning Book for my recipes and directions. 

Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving

It is certainly the old standby. 

This last weekend I also got over to the local honey farm and picked up some local spring honey.  

I forget what type of honey the stuff on the left is, but it is not supposed to soak in as much when you put it on toast, etc...I bought it for the boys to try. 

What is your plan for the summer? Do you can and/or freeze? Any recipes that you would like to share? Let me know! I am always up for a challenge..

Blessings to you,

Amanda

No comments: