- 5 cups shredded zucchini (about 5 medium)
- 4 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons ground mustard
- 2-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground cumin, nutmeg and turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 40-50 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Serve with your favorite snack chips or grilled meats. Yield: 7 cups.
Ok...I guess I can't actually follow a recipe, so my changes are this--we went out to eat in the middle of cooking this down, so I put mine in a crock pot--lid off,on low, until it was thick enough and reduced down. I sterilized my jars on the stove and after I canned the salsa, gave them a hot water bath--for about 25 or 30 minutes. It made 2 large quart sized jars and two pint sized jars. I also added a second jalapeno for heat...it is a little spicy, but not too much! You don't have to can it, but I didn't want to consume it all or have it take up precious space in the already overflowing fridge.
Tonight Aaron gave me a "night off"--I went out to the christian bookstore, went shopping, and enjoyed the peace. I have a totally amazing husband!
Linking up at:
Linking up at:
Blessings to you,