Monday, August 15, 2011

Weekend Recap and a little Zucchini Salsa

I love weekends!  I know most people do too, but I really do love weekends!  Friday night came and we headed out to our favorite little Mexican restaurant in the next town over, our town has only a couple of places to eat that only serve breakfast and lunch.  We headed home and had planned to do family movie night, we always do on Fridays.  But, the weather was just too nice, so we let the boys ride bikes outside until dark and then headed home.  Saturday was beautiful too, so we loaded up the bikes and went to Ft. Wayne.  It is a little ways from our home, so we don't go too often-but it was nice to explore their greenway bike paths and ride a little.  We only went 8 miles.  I said that same statement to Aaron and he giggled...only 8 miles?!  We have come so far this summer in the biking department.  It used to be that 3 or 4 miles was enough for me and I would be perfectly content with that.  But, this year I promised Aaron that I would ride in some races/organized rides with him--so we have been riding a lot!  To be quite honest...I started out this winter on the stationary bikes, usually doing 8 miles or so...but I don't think we've done less than 8 miles in any of the rides we've done outside this year.  Anyway, Saturday was a nice casual ride--so much so that Aaron kept asking me to slow down and enjoy the ride!  We had pre-ordered the new Veggie Tales movie--Pop Star Princess, so we went to pick that up and found some great deals on some other movies for our family movie night too!  Then, we had a late lunch at Chick-fil-A....LOVE that place!  We headed home, and everyone else sacked out.  I took that opportunity to get out of the house and get some deals at Walgreens and CVS (click the links if you want to learn more about saving a LOT of $ at both of those stores).  That night, after dinner (salisbury steak and mashed potatoes)--Aaron cleaned the kitchen and made his famous Caramel Popcorn (a recipe I'll share later this week).  Later, we sat down and watched our new movie and ate popcorn...it was a ton of fun!  Aaron and I watched Soul Surfer after the kiddos went to bed--what a great, clean movie, it was better than expected! Sundays are always a nice relaxing day--worship with the family and BLT's for lunch.  While everyone was napping, I whipped up some zucchini salsa (since my plants FINALLY produced enough zucchini for a batch--they've been struggling).  It is a recipe my mother in law gave me and I thought it was amazing!  So, here it is:

Zucchini Salsa

Ingredients

  • 5 cups shredded zucchini (about 5 medium)
  • 4 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
  • 2 medium onions, chopped
  • 2 medium green peppers, chopped
  • 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
  • 1 cup white vinegar
  • 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3 teaspoons ground mustard
  • 2-1/4 teaspoons salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon each ground cumin, nutmeg and turmeric
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper

Directions


  • In a Dutch oven, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 40-50 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
  • Cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Serve with your favorite snack chips or grilled meats. Yield: 7 cups.
Ok...I guess I can't actually follow a recipe, so my changes are this--we went out to eat in the middle of cooking this down, so I put mine in a crock pot--lid off,on low, until it was thick enough and reduced down.  I sterilized my jars on the stove and after I canned the salsa, gave them a hot water bath--for about 25 or 30 minutes.  It made 2 large quart sized jars and two pint sized jars.  I also added a second jalapeno for heat...it is a little spicy, but not too much! You don't have to can it, but I didn't want to consume it all or have it take up precious space in the already overflowing fridge.  

Tonight Aaron gave me a "night off"--I went out to the christian bookstore, went shopping, and enjoyed the peace.   I have a totally amazing husband! 


Linking up at:

Growing Home


Tempt my Tummy Tuesdays

Blessings to you,


Amanda

No comments: