Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie

I had planned for today's post to be all about this wonderful recipe that I had tried out of Don't Panic-Dinner's in the Freezer, one of my new books that has been very helpful.  I tried to make a triple batch of that recipe last week, but accidentally left 9 cups of cooked chicken on the stove all day and forgot about it.  So I didn't aim to double or triple tonight...just to get it cooked.  It turns out that I inadvertently didn't really follow the recipe very much at all (ie...I messed up and was in recovery mode...and it turned out really well!  Here is the adapted recipe...


Chicken Pot Pie

Ingredients:
4 cups mixed veggies (original recipe calls for just peas and carrots, but I had more than that going on)
1/2 cup onion
1 small carton of fresh mushrooms...sliced
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup flour (I used whole wheat)
1/2 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper
1/4 t (ish) Savory Seasoning
2 cups milk
3/4 cup water
1T chicken bouillon
3 cups pre-cooked chicken (I used some I already had in the freezer)
1 4oz jar of pimento
1/4 cup parsley
sprinkle of Italian Seasoning...probably about 1/2 t. 
Double Pie Crust

What I did: 
Put the veggies in water to thaw out and warm up.  Soften the onions and mushrooms in butter.  Add flour, salt, pepper, savory seasoning.  Keep Stirring!  Add milk..(it was initially an error to use that much milk--a misread of the original instructions.  But, we really liked it creamy and like gravy)  Add water and bouillon.  Keep stirring...it will thicken and get all bubbly!  Stir in the mixed veggies (drained), the chicken, and pimento and parsley.  At this point, I tasted the concoction....it was yummy!  It needed a little more seasoning, so I added the Italian Seasoning.  It mixed well with the flavors.


The original recipe was for freezing or cooking immediately...however, I added a lot more milk to the original recipe (more than double), so I am not sure how good it will do at freezing.  I cooked it right away in one of those pre-made rolled out, double pie crusts.  Sealed the edges and cut a few slits in the top, those are important!

The boys came to the table and were excited we were having Samurai Pie (they love the Backyardagains).  Most of all, Aaron was pleasantly surprised...he knew I was experimenting and got a little antsy when he saw the beginning of this post.  We ate it with cottage cheese and fresh cherries! 

Again, this recipe is adapted from the Chicken Pot Pie Recipe found in Don't Panic Dinner's In the Freezer--If you want their freezer ready, proven recipe--without my changes, you'll have to buy the book!

FYI: As you can see by the pictures...I am not generally a neat cook...sorry!  

Linking up at:



Growing Home






Raising Homemakers

Blessings to you,

Amanda

No comments: